Can I travel to the US after a family member has filed for me?

I have been asked this question numerous times: I have an existing visitors visa or am from a visa waiver program country and I want to travel to the US but my family member, spouse, mother, brother has filed an immigrant petition for me: what should I do?

As you probably already know, it is hard to travel to the US with an I-130 pending. Here are some things you can do to help convince the border patrol agents at the airport that you intend to return to your home country. There are no guarantees with this process, even with showing them all of the information below you have to face the very real chance of being turned around and sent back to your home country.

1. Travel with a packet of information. Have your relative send you your I-130 or bring your NVC packet if it is already at that stage.

2. You could bring a letter from your employer stating how long you'll be gone and when you'll be back. Also, if your travel is employment related then have them explain what you are going to be doing in the US for your job.

3. Bring proof that you have obligations at home that you need to return to. Ex. Rental agreement or mortgage, kids or other dependants who rely on you, pets, ongoing memberships etc.

The point is that you need to put together documents showing that you have no immigrant intent. Hopefully this list of information to bring with you to evidence that is helpful.

As you can see, immigration issues can be complex. So if you have any questions about your immigration issues, please feel free to call me at 347-460-0765 to discuss our immigration services and your options.