Filing Your Green Card Application after Entering with a Fiance Visa (K-1)

You and your fiancé are finally reunited after waiting all of those long months. Unfortunately, the journey does not end there. There are still a few more hoops to jump through before your fiancé can get his or her green card. The steps you will have to take are:

1. Get married within 90 days of their entry
It is really important that you get married within 90 days, remember that 3 months can technically be over 90 days so get married as soon as possible so that you do not end up getting a denial for missing the cut off by 3 days or so. Remember to take tons of pictures at your wedding and to celebrate with those people who are close to you.

2. Apply for adjustment of status after the marriage
In order to adjust status from a k-1 visa holder to a green card holder, your spouse will need to file the I-485 (application to adjust status), I-765 (if they would like work authorization and a social security card while their green card application is pending), I-864 (affidavit of support) and G-325A form (biographic information sheet). You can find all of these forms at the USCIS website, look at all of the forms to make sure that you are comfortable filling the out yourself. If you are not, contact an immigration lawyer to assist you with the process so that you have the best possible chance of getting the green card without delays for requests for evidence or denials for lack of information. Make sure to read the instructions of the forms very carefully to make sure that you include all necessary information. Make sure the I-765 is filed if you plan to work in the US.
Tip- include copies and NOT the original of any documents that you send, if you are scheduled for an interview then you can bring the original documents with you at that time.

3. Get prepared for an adjustment interview
Many people will not be scheduled for an interview. Even though that is the case, you should still prepare for the interview on the chance that you may have it and they will ask questions based on the application that you have provided.

As you can see, immigration issues can be complex. So if you have any questions about your immigration issues, please feel free to contact me to discuss our immigration services and your options.